Dr. Murray Levine
Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus
Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
J.D., Law School, SUNY at Buffalo
Office: 225 Park Hall
Phone: (716) 645-0188
Summary of Research Interests:
Murray Levine is Distinguished Service Professor of Psychology and Adjunct Professor of Law. His major interests are in community psychology, and in psychology and law. His specific interests change from time to time. He has an interdisciplinary orientation and has worked cooperatively with law, sociology, education, and social work faculty, and with staff in many human service agencies. He continues to conduct research on various aspects of child abuse and neglect with students in psychology, law, and social work. He is the author or co-author of a number of books including Principles of Community Psychology (second edition, 1997) and Helping Children (1994). His most recent book is the Impact of Mandated Reporting on Psychotherapy (Sage 1995), written with Howard Doueck. He teaches Community Psychology at a graduate and undergraduate level, and Psychology and Law at the undergraduate level. Dr. Levine has served as a member of the editorial boards of the American Journal of Community Psychology and Behavioral Sciences and Law. He is co-editor of the international journal Law and Policy. He has served as President of the APA Division of Community Psychology (Div. 27), and in 1987 received the Division's Distinguished Contribution Award. He was a member of the U.S. Advisory Board on Child Abuse and Neglect. He is a Fellow in the APA Divisions of Community Psychology, Psychology and Law, and Clinical Psychology. He was President (1999-2000) of the American Psychology-Law Society (Division 41, APA). He is a licensed psychologist, an ABPP Diplomate in Clinical Psychology, and he is admitted to the New York Bar (retired status).
- M. Levine and Leah Wallach (2002). Psychological Problems, Social Issues, and Law. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Levine, M. & Perkins, D.V. (1997). Principles of Community Psychology, 2nd Ed. NY: Oxford University Press.
- Mangold, S.V. & Levine, M. (1995) (Eds.), Special Issue: Focus on the Child in International Law: The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. Law & Policy, 17(4). (published in 1997).
- Steinberg, K.L., Levine, M., & Doueck, H.J. (1997). In the service of two masters: Psychotherapists' struggle with child maltreatment mandatory reporting. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 67, 112-122.
- Levine, M., Doueck, H.J., Freeman, J., & Compaan, C. (1998). Rush to judgment? Child protective services and allegations of child sexual abuse. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 68, 101-107.
- Levine, M., Doueck, H.J., Freeman, J.B., & Compaan, C. (1996). African-American families and child protection. Children and Youth Services Review, 18, 693-711.