Jennifer Read, Ph.D.
Professor, Clinical Area Head, Director of Clinical Training
Ph.D., University of Rhode Island
231 Park Hall
Personally maintained website
Abstracts for all publications on pub-med
Link to Pub Med
Summary of Research Interests
I am interested in the etiology of and intervention for problematic alcohol and other substance use in young adults. My most recent work has focused around two interests: (1) psychosocial determinants of young adult alcohol use, and (2) co-occurrence of posttraumatic stress symptoms and substance use.
My research on young adult drinking has examined both environmental and individual determinants of alcohol use utilizing laboratory and survey approaches. In particular, my research examines how individual-level factors such as gender, affective state, and alcohol cognitions (e.g., expectancies, motives) may account for differential responses to the social environment. My colleagues and I recently have completed a series of NIAAA-funded laboratory studies of associations among mood, alcohol expectancies, and drinking.
I also am interested in the measurement and evaluation of negative consequences resulting from heavy drinking in college students. Along with my colleagues, I have developed the Young Adult Alcohol Consequences Questionnaire (YAACQ) which assesses multiple domains of alcohol consequences. More information about this measure – including measure items, scoring instructions, and supporting references, can be found at my personally maintained website.
In the area of the intersection of trauma, posttraumatic stress, and substance use, I have been funded by the ABMRF/The Foundation for Alcohol Research, the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, and the National Institute on Drug Abuse to examine etiological processes that contribute to the co-occurrence of PTSD and problem substance use in young adults. This includes longitudinal studies of associations between these two clinical phenomena, as well as laboratory based studies of co-occurrence. Currently, I am conducting an NIAAA-funded examination of alcohol information processing in individuals with post-traumatic stress following experiential trauma exposure.
I am also Co-Editor of the book, New Directions in Trauma, PTSD, and Substance Abuse, published by the American Psychological Association.
Representative Publications (since 2005)
- Read, J.P., Merrill, J.E.*, Griffin, M.E.*, Bachrach, R.*, & Kahn, S*. (in press). Post-Traumatic Stress and Alcohol Problems: Self Medication or Trait Vulnerability? The American Journal on the Addictions.
- Griffin, M.J.*, Wardell, J.* & Read, J.P. (2013). Recent non-consensual sexual experiences and Alcohol use and related consequences in newly matriculated college students. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
- Barnett, N. P., Orchowski, L. O., Read, J. P., Kahler, C. W. (in press). Predictors and consequences of pregaming using day- and week-level measurements. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
- Colder, C.R., Scalco, M., Trucco, E.M., Read, J.P., Lengua, L.J., Wieczorek, W.F., & Hawk, LW. (in press). Prospective associations of internalizing and externalizing problems and their co-occurrence with early adolescent substance use. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology.
- Colder, C.R., Hawk, L.W., Eiden, R.D., Lengua, L., & Read, J.P. (in press). Trajectories of Reinforcement Sensitivity during early adolescence and risk for substance use. Journal of Research on Adolescence.
- Ouimette, P.C., & Read, J.P. (Eds) (2013). New Directions in Trauma, PTSD, and Substance Abuse. American Psychological Association (APA) Publications.
- Mallett, K.A., Varvil-Weld, L., Borsari, B., Read, J.P., Neighbors, C., & White, H.R. (2013). An Update of Research Examining College Student Alcohol-Related Consequences: New Perspectives and Implications for Interventions. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 37(5),709-716.
- Wardell, J.D.*, & Read, J.P. (2013). Perceived Norms Alcohol Expectancies and Drinking Behavior among College Students: Examining the Reciprocal Determinism Hypothesis. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 27, 191-196.
- Peterson, C., Borsari, B., Mastroleo, N.R., Read, J.P., & Carey, K.B. (2013). How Does the Brief CEOA Match With Self-Generated Expectancies from Mandated Students. Addictive Behaviors, 38(1) 1414-1418.
- Read, J.P., Wardell, J.D.*, & Bachrach, R.L.*, (in press). Drinking Consequence Types in the First College Semester Differentially Predict Drinking the Following Year. Addictive Behaviors, 38(1) 1464-1471.
- Merrill, J.E.*, Read, J.P., & Barnett, N. (2013). The Way One Thinks Affects the Way One Drinks: Subjective Evaluations of Alcohol Consequences Predict Subsequent Change in Drinking Behavior. Psychology of Addictive Behavior. 27, 42-51.
- Read, J.P., Wardell, J.D.*, Vermont, L.*, Colder, C.R., Ouimette, P., & White, J.J. (2012). Transition and Change: The Prospective Effects of Post-Traumatic Stress on Smoking Trajectories in the First Year of College. Health Psychology.
- Bachrach, R.*, & Read, J.P. (2012) Effects of PTSD and alcohol on academic achievement in college students. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 68, 843-859.
- Read, J.P., Colder, C.R., Merrill, J.E.*, Ouimette, P., White, J., & Swartout, A. (2012). Trauma and Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms Influence Alcohol and Other Drug Problem Trajectories in the First Year of College. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 80, 426-439.
- Bachrach, R.L.*, Merrill, J.E.*, & Bystchkow, K., & Read, J.P. (2012). Development and Initial Validation of a Measure of Motives for Pregaming in College Students. Addictive Behaviors.
- Simons, J.S., Dvorak, R.D., Merrill, J.E.*, & Read, J.P. (2012). Dimensions and Severity of Marijuana Consequences: Development and Validation of the Marijuana Consequences Questionnaire (MACQ). Addictive Behaviors.
- Griffin, M.J.*, & Read, J.P. (2012). Prospective Effects of Method of Coercion on Victimization in College Women. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 27, 1-22.
- Wardell, J.D.,* Read, J.P., Merrill, J.E.*, & Curtin, J.J. (2012). Mood and implicit alcohol expectancy processes: Predicting alcohol consumption in the laboratory. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 36, 119-129.
- Wardell, J.D.,* O’Connor, R.M., Colder, C.R., & Read, J.P. (2011) The Behavioral Approach System Moderates the Prospective Association between the Behavioral Inhibition System and Alcohol Outcomes in College Students. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 6, 1028-1036.
- Colder, C.R., Trucco, E.M., Lopez, H.I., Hawk, L.W., Read, J.P., Lengua, L.J., Weiczorek, W.F., & Eiden, R.D. (2011). Revised Reinforcement Sensitivity Theory and Laboratory Assessment of BIS and BAS in Children. Journal of Research in Personality, 45, 198-207.
- Read, J.P., Ouimette, P., White, J., Colder, C., & Farrow, S.* (2011). Rates of DSM IV-TR trauma exposure and posttraumatic stress disorder among newly matriculated college students. Rates of DSM IV-TR trauma exposure and posttraumatic stress disorder among newly matriculated college students,Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 3, 148-156.
- Merrill, J.E.*, & Read, J.P. (2010). Motivational Pathways to Unique Types of Alcohol Consequences Psychology of Addictive Behaviors. 24, 705-711.
- Read, J.P., Merrill, J.E.,* & Bystchkow, K.M.* (2010) Before the Party Starts: Risk Factors and Reasons for “Pre-Gaming” in College Students. Journal of American College Health, 58, 461-472.
- Merrill, J.E.*, Wardell, J.*, & Read, J.P. (2009). Is expectancy reality? Expectations for alcohol’s mood effects following alcohol consumption. Experimental and Clinical Psychpharmacology,17, 434-445.
- Ouimette, P., Read, J.P., Wade, M., & Tirone, V. (2009). Modeling associations between posttraumatic stress symptoms and substance use. Addictive Behaviors, 35, 64-67.
- Brown, R.A., Abrantes, A.M., Read, J.P., Marcus, B.H., Jakicic, J., Strong, D.R., Oakley, J.R., Ramsey, S.E., Kahler, C.W., Stuart, G.L., Dubreuil, M.E., & Gordon, A.A. (2010). A pilot study of aerobic exercise as an adjunctive treatment for drug dependence. Mental Health and Physical Activity, 3, 27-34.
- Read, J.P., Dunn, M., Lau, C.*, & Borsari, B.E. (2009). Projected Alcohol Dose Influences on the Activation of Alcohol Expectancies in College Drinkers. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 33, 1269-1277.
- Brown, R.A., Abrantes, A.M., Read, J.P., Marcus, B.H., Jakicic, J., Strong, D.R., Oakley, J.R., Ramsey, S.E., Kahler, C.W., Stuart, G.G., Dubreuil, M.E. & Gordon, A.A. (2009). Aerobic exercise for alcohol recovery: Rationale, program description, and preliminary findings. Behavior Modification, 33, 220-249.
- Read, J.P., Farrow, S.M.*, Jaanimagi, U.*, & Ouimette, P.C. (2009). Assessing Trauma and Traumatic Stress via the Internet: Measurement Equivalence and Participant Reactions. Traumatology, 15, 94-102.
- Borsari, B., Read, J.P., & Campbell, J. (2008). Posttraumatic stress disorder and substance use disorders in college students: Implications for Counseling Centers. Journal of College Student Psychotherapy, 22, 61-85.
- Read, J.P., Beattie, M.*, Chamberlain, R.A.*, & Merrill, J*. (2008). Beyond the “Binge” Threshold:
Heavy Drinking Patterns and their Association with Alcohol Involvement Indices in College Students. Addictive Behaviors.
- Read, J.P., Merrill, J.*, Kahler, C.W., & Strong, D.S. (2007). Predicting Functional Outcomes Among College Drinkers: Reliability and Predictive Validity of the Young Adult Alcohol Consequences Questionnaire. Addictive Behaviors. 32, 2597-2610
- Read, J.P., & Curtin, J.J. (2007). Contextual effects on alcohol expectancies. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 68, 759-770.
- Read, J.P., & O’Connor, R.M.* (2006). High- and low-dose expectancies as mediators of personality dimensions and alcohol involvement. Journal of Studies on Alcohol. 67, 1-12.
- Read, J.P., Kahler, C.W., Strong, D., & Colder, C.R. (2006). Development and preliminary validation of the Young Adult Alcohol Consequences Questionnaire. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 67, 169-178.
- Barnett, N., & Read, J.P. (2005). Mandatory alcohol intervention for alcohol abusing college students. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 29, 147-158.
* Denotes graduate student co-author.