Wendy Quinton, Ph.D.
Summary of Teaching and Research Interests
I regularly teach undergraduate courses in Introductory Psychology, Scientific Inquiry, Social Psychology, Systems and Theories of Psychology, Advanced Research Methods in Psychology, and the Honors Seminar in Psychology.
My research interests are focused on theoretically driven investigations of social issues. In particular, I center on issues that are at the interface of a number of core psychological topics, including the psychology of the self, prejudice and discrimination, social identity and social groups, stress and coping, and personal and social predictors of mental and physical health.
- Seery, M. D., & Quinton, W. J. (2016). Understanding resilience: From negative life events to everyday stressors. In J. M. Olson & M. P. Zanna (Eds.), Advances in experimental social psychology (Vol. 54, pp. 181-245). Cambridge, MA: Academic Press.
- Seery, M. D., & Quinton, W. J. (2015). Targeting prejudice: Personal self-esteem as a resource for Asians’ attributions to racial discrimination. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 6, 677-684.
- Leo, R. J., & Quinton, W. J. (2011). Psychopharmacological and psychotherapeutic approaches to pain. In M. Ebert & R. Kerns (Eds.), Behavioral and psychopharmacological therapeutics in pain management. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Leo, R. J., Quinton, W. J., & Ebert, M. (2011). Psychological/psychosocial evaluation of the chronic pain patient: Behavioral and psychopharmacological therapeutics in pain management. In N. Vadivelu, R. Hines, & R. Urman (Eds.), Essentials of pain management. New York, NY: Springer.
- Major, B., Quinton, W. J., & Schmader, T. (2003). Attributions to discrimination and self-esteem: Impact of group identification and situational ambiguity. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 39, 220-231.
- Major, B., Kaiser, C., McCoy, S. K., & Quinton, W. J. (2003). Prejudice and self-esteem: A transactional model. In W. Stroebe & M. Hewstone (Eds.), European Review of Social Psychology (pp. 77-104). East Sussex, UK: Psychology Press.
- Major, B., Quinton, W. J., & McCoy, S. K. (2002). Antecedents and consequences of attributions to discrimination: Theoretical and empirical advances. In M. P. Zanna (Ed.), Advances in experimental social psychology (Vol. 34, pp. 251-330). San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Quinton, W. J., Major, B., & Richards, C. (2001). Adolescents and abortion: Are minors at greater risk? Psychology, Public Policy, and Law, 7(3), 491-514.
- Quinton, W. J., Cowan, G., & Watson, B. D. (1996). Personality and attitudinal predictors of support of Proposition 187–California’s anti-illegal immigrant initiative. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 26(24), 2204-2223.