Mark B. Kristal, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Kansas State University
B71 Park Hall
Summary of Research Interests
Physiological bases of motivated behavior (especially reproduction and ingestion); neural and endocrine basis of maternal behavior in mammals; functions of the hypothalamus; opioid systems and maternal behavior, parturition, and antinociception; causes and consequences of placentophagia.
- DiPirro, J.M. & Kristal, M.B. (2004). Placenta ingestion by rats enhances κ- and δ-opioid antinociception, but suppresses µ-opioid antinociception. Brain Research, 1014, 22-33.
- Thompson, A.C.; Kristal, M.B.; Salaj, A.; Acheson, A.; Martin, L.B. & Martin, T. (2004). Analgesic efficacy of oral buprenorphine in rats: Methodological considerations. Comparative Medicine, 54, 293-300.
- Kristal, M.B. (2009).The biopsychology of maternal behavior in nonhuman mammals. ILAR Journal, 50, 51-63. (Invited article)
- Curtin, L.I.; Grakowsky, J.A.; Suarez, M; Thompson, A.C.; DiPirro, J.M.; Martin, L.B.E. & Kristal, M.B. (2009). Evaluation of buprenorphine in a post-operative pain model in rats. Comparative Medicine, 59, 60-71.
- Neumann, A; Hoey, R.F.; Daigler, L.B.; Thompson, A.C. & Kristal, M.B. (2009). Ingestion of amniotic fluid enhances the facilitative effect of VTA morphine on the onset of maternal behavior in virgin rats. Brain Research, 1261, 29-36.
- Hoey, R.F.; Hurley, S.W.; Daniels, D. & Kristal, M.B. (2011). Effect of amniotic-fluid ingestion on vaginal-cervical-stimulation-induced Fos expression in female rats during estrus. Brain Research, 1376, 51-59.
- Kristal, M.B.; DiPirro, J.M. & Thompson, A.C. (2012). Placentophagia in humans and nonhuman mammals: Causes and consequences. Ecology of Food and Nutrition, 51, 177-197. (Invited article)
- Kristal, M.B. (2012). “Placenta: To Eat or Not to Eat?” The Huffington Post, September 17, 2012. (Invited article)
Fellow, International Behavioral Neuroscience Society
Elected USA Councilor, International Behavioral Neuroscience Society, 2010-2013