Larry Hawk, Ph.D.
Summary of Research Interests
I study the role of basic motivational and cognitive processes in understanding and treating cigarette smoking and ADHD. These two seemingly disparate areas have strong conceptual, neurobiological, and clinical ties. We conduct both lab studies and clinical trials that are integrally tied to one another. A more substantive description of my research interests is available at the following link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108800345/Research%20Statement%20-%202013-04-20.pdf
- Hawk, L.W., Jr., *Yartz, A.Y., Pelham, W.E., Jr., & Lock, T.M. (2003). The effects of methylphenidate on prepulse inhibition during attended and ignored prestimuli among boys with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Psychopharmacology, 165, 118-127.
- *Shiels, K., & Hawk, L.W., Jr. (2010). Self-regulation in ADHD: The role of error processing. Clinical Psychology Review, 30, 951-961.
- *Strand, M.T., Hawk, L.W., Jr., *Bubnik, M., *Shiels, K., Pelham, W.E., Jr., & Waxmonsky, J.G. (2012). Improving working memory in children with Attention-Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder: The separate and combined effects of incentives and stimulant medication. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 40, 1193-1207.
Cigarette Smoking and Addiction
- *Ashare, R.L. & Hawk, L.W., Jr. (2012). Effects of smoking abstinence on impulsive behavior among smokers high and low ADHD-like symptoms. Psychopharmacology, 219, 537-547.
- Hawk, L.W., Jr., *Ashare, R.L., *Lohnes, S.F., *Schlienz, N.J., *Rhodes, J.D., Tiffany, S.T., Gass, J.C., Cummings, K.M., & Mahoney, M.C. (2012). The effects of extended pre-quit varenicline treatment on smoking behavior and short-term abstinence: A randomized clinical trial. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 91, 172-180.
- *Schlienz, N., Hawk, L.W., Jr., & *Rosch, K. (2013). The effects of acute abstinence from smoking and performance-based rewards on performance monitoring. Psychopharmacology. DOI: 10.1007/s00213-013-3131-8
Psychophysiology of Emotion and Attention
- *Ashare, R.L., Hawk, L.W., Jr., & *Mazzullo, R.J. (2007). Motivated attention: Incentive effects on attentional modification of prepulse inhibition. Psychophysiology, 44, 839-845.
- *Baschnagel, J.S., Hawk, L.W., Jr., Colder, C.R., & Richards, J.B. (2007). Motivated attention and prepulse inhibition of startle in rats: Using conditioned reinforcers as prepulses. Behavioral Neuroscience, 121, 1372-1382.
- Hawk, L.W., Jr., & *Kowmas, A.D. (2003). Affective modulation and prepulse inhibition of startle among undergraduates high and low in behavioral inhibition and approach. Psychophysiology, 40, 131-138.