Craig Colder, Ph.D.
Summary of Research Interests
My research interests are in identifying multiple levels of influence that contribute to the development of adolescent substance use. These levels include individual differences (e.g., temperament and personality), family influences, and community factors.
- Rhodes, J.D., Trucco, E.M., Colder, C.R., Speidel, C., Hawk, L.W., Jr., Lengua, L.J., Eiden, R.D. (2013). The interaction between self-regulation and motivation prospectively predicting problem behavior in adolescence. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. [Epub DOI: 10.1080/15374416.2013.773515]
- Trucco, E.M., Wright, A.G.C., & Colder, C.R. (2013). A revised interpersonal circumplex inventory of children’s social goals. Assessment, 20, 98-113.
- Zehe, J., Colder, C.R., Read, J.P., Wieczorek, W.F., & Lengua, L.J. (2013). Social and generalized anxiety symptoms and adolescent alcohol and cigarette use: The moderating role of perceived peer norms. Addictive Behaviors, 38, 1931-1939.
- Colder, C.R., Hawk, L.W., Jr., Lengua, L.J., Wiezcorek, W.F., Eiden, R.D., Read, J.P. (2012). Trajectories of reinforcement sensitivity during adolescence and risk for substance use. Journal of Research on Adolescence. [Epub DOI: 10:1111/jora.12001].
- Colder, C.R., Scalco, M., Trucco, E.M., Read, J.P.. Lengua, L.J., Wieczorek, W.F., & .Hawk, L.W. (2012). Prospective associations of internalizing and externalizing problems and their co-occurrence with early adolescent substance use. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology. [Epub DOI: 10.1007/s10802-012-0701-0]
- Vergara-Lopez, C., Lopez-Vergara, H.I., & Colder, C.R. (2013). Executive functioning moderates relationship between motivation and adolescent depressive symptoms, Personality and Individual Differences, 54, 18-22.
- Lopez-Vergara, H.I., Colder, C.R., Hawk, L.W., Wieczorek, W.F., Eiden, R.D., Lengua, L.J., & Read, J.P. (2012). Reinforcement Sensitivity Theory and alcohol outcome expectancies in early adolescence. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 38, 130-134.
- O’Connor, R.M., Lopez-Vergara, H.I., & Colder, C.R. (2012). Implicit cognition and substance use: The role of controlled and automatic processes in children. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 73, 134-143.
- Colder, C.R., Trucco, E.M., Lopez, H.I., Hawk, L.W., Read, J.P., Lengua, L.J., Wieczorek, W.F., & Eiden, R.D. (2011). Revised reinforcement sensitivity theory and laboratory assessment of BIS and BAS in children. Journal of Research on Personality, 45, 198-207